728x90 AdSpace

Latest News
Thursday 24 November 2011

Avoiding Google's Penalties

Avoiding Google's Penalties

You've all heard of Google's penalties.The “deadly” Panda or Google slap and what not. It frightened a lot of marketers, but to be honest, I pay little to no attention to any of this. Anyone who has been in the SEO field for any length of time did not even blink an eye lid about these new updates. My sites and those of who I work with continue to climb in the rankings regardless of what Google throws our way.

It's not because we are brilliant (far from it) or have had a head start and it's not because we have “pull” with Google, because we don't, it's just that we build sites the (common sense) smart way and it starts before you even create your sites.

Before you even create your sites, you need to realize something. Google is not looking to do you any favors. They are not the big evil monster some people make them out to be, but they will protect their brand vigorously and sometimes that seems harsh to us.

They honestly don't have a lot of love for affiliate marketers and even Adsense publishers and they've said it many times themselves. However, to be fair, we all know some of the tricks some of the people in our industry have tried. If Google didn't protect their brand from these people, Google would have gone the way of AltaVista. (Funny story, I was talking to an offline SEO client the other day and they had no idea what an “AltaVista” was. Google doesn't want to go that way and we don't want that either.)So either we whinge about it, or we learn how to factor this into our sites.

Google is the biggest search engine; we know that, I know that. They bring me massive amounts of traffic and revenue, but I also have an appropriate level of fear of them as well and I do everything in my power to make sure I minimize any risks to my business.

That's not bowing down or caving in, that's just smart business.

If you are going to be using something like Google to build a business around, it's stupid not to learn everything you can about them and make sure you do everything you can in your power to not get on their wrong side.

Most marketers just get lazy and lazy marketers get left behind in this game. What I want to talk about here is avoiding known triggers for Google to give your sites manual and automatic penalties or reviews before you even create your sites.

There are 3 things I want to talk about here. Google Analytics, Google Adsense and your hosting account. I'll come out and say it right now. Google Analytics and Google Adsense together is often a very very bad combination.You're giving Google so much data. You are showing them exactly how much your

site is earning and exactly how much traffic your site is getting and from where and how quickly the traffic is increasing. Google does watch our accounts and does do manual reviews. Especially on our Adsense accounts. If there is a spike of revenue or you hit a revenue level that Google see's as significant, they will do a manual review of your site.

This is not another Google myth. I build all my sites in a whitehat method. I do not use any tricks or gimmicks, I am all about user experience and of course profits, but I also don't want to give Google any reason to review my site. It's much like PayPal in that matter. We all love PayPal, but we know what can happen if you trigger a review.

By having Google Analytics on our sites, we are basically giving Google all our data.

That's not an overly brilliant move in my thinking.

Very often when you implement a backlinking campaign, our rankings fluctuate and when we hit the first page of Google for our keyword, we start to see a significant and quick increase in traffic and usually revenue (I will talk about when to monetize soon as it's important).

These are red flags to Google. No matter how careful you are, no matter if you think

You’ve done nothing wrong at all, Google will protect their brand if they even suspect for a second that you are gaming their results. (Remember, in Google's eyes, any sort of manual back linking is a no no. That's why you need to create your sites smart and you need to do smart back linking, but the first part of the battle is creating your sites.)

I struggled with the idea of relying on Google to handle all my business.

I don't want a entity outside of my control to have that level of influence on my business. With the above business model, Google is giving you your traffic (via rankings) they are monitoring your traffic and paying you. That is Scary in my eyes. So other than making sure the sites you create have great content and give a good User experience, what can you does? First thing to do is move away some control from Google and the easiest way to do That is to use another analytics program and luckily for us, there are some very good Alternatives.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.
  • Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Item Reviewed: Avoiding Google's Penalties Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Habib